Document › Details
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/6/11). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Opens New Biomarker Translational Center. Goal Is to Accelerate Mass Spectrometry-based Biomarker Discovery and Its Translation into Development of Routine Clinical Applica
|Country||United States (USA)|
|Organisation||BRIMS Center (Thermo Fisher)|
|Group||Thermo Fisher (Group)|
|Product||biomarker discovery services|
|Product 2||mass spectrometry (MS)|
|Person||Darbouret, Bruno (Thermo Fisher 201109 Director RnD BRAHMS Biomarkers)|
|Person 2||Krastins, Bryan (Thermo Fisher 201109 Group Leader at BT Center)|
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., the world leader in serving science, today announced at the Human Proteome Organization (HUPO) 2011 World Congress the establishment of a new Biomarker Translational Center (BT Center). The purpose of the BT Center is to accelerate mass spectrometry (MS)-based biomarker discovery research and its translation into the development of routine clinical assays for subsequent commercialization. Based in Cambridge, Mass., the BT Center combines advanced expertise from across Thermo Fisher including its B·R·A·H·M·S product line and the team at the Biomarkers Research Initiatives in Mass Spectrometry (BRIMS) Center.
"Through the vertical integration with the unique talent in MS-based biomarker discovery and high-throughput quantitative assay development at BRIMS, we aim to expand our pipeline of new protein and peptide biomarkers with potential as clinical assays," said Bruno Darbouret, director of research and development for B·R·A·H·M·S Biomarkers at Thermo Fisher. "Ultimately, this development effort will speed the commercialization of diagnostic tests that address life threatening diseases."
Thermo Fisher, already a leading provider of specialty in-vitro diagnostic tests based on its patented Thermo Scientific B·R·A·H·M·S biomarkers, understands clinical market needs and will apply core strengths in diagnostics development, validation and commercialization to define the disease areas of focus for the BT Center. The company's well-established relationships with clinical researchers will provide access to clinical partners and patient samples for biomarker discovery and validation studies using B·R·A·H·M·S Biomarkers.
For the disease areas chosen, the BRIMS Center will apply its competencies in quantitative MS biomarker discovery and multiplexed selected reaction monitoring (SRM) assay development to identify putative biomarkers and their clinically relevant isoforms. Subsequently it will develop robust, reproducible, targeted MS-based assays appropriate for the validation of putative biomarkers and ultimately for the clinical diagnostics market.
Thermo Fisher will own all intellectual property around the biomarkers and assays, and it will commercialize the assays as clinical diagnostic products and services after obtaining all requisite regulatory approvals.
"Efficient translation of MS-based biomarker discovery research into the development of routine clinical diagnostic assays is an important challenge in the field of personalized medicine," said Bryan Krastins, group leader, BT Center. "Bridging this gap requires high-level competence in MS-based biomarker discovery and routine assay development for biomarker verification and validation. Understanding clinician and patient needs and having extensive experience in clinical validation are also essential to the transformation of novel tests into clinical routine assays. The new BT Center integrates all the capabilities needed to speed the clinical assay development pipeline from biomarker discovery to clinical assay development and validation."
The Thermo Scientific B·R·A·H·M·S product line features a range of diagnostic test procedures to improve the diagnosis and treatment of life-threatening diseases, using patented biomarkers to bring about medically and economically superior diagnostic know-how for patients and users. Thermo Scientific B·R·A·H·M·S products are used in more than 60 countries around the world.
Located in Cambridge, Mass., the BRIMS Center develops methodologies and applications for protein biomarker identification and verification. Equipped with a full complement of Thermo Scientific mass spectrometers, and staffed by a team of scientists with expertise in mass spectrometry, protein techniques and informatics, the BRIMS Center also develops leading software tools for proteomic research.
For more information about Thermo Scientific solutions for proteomic research, please call +1 800-532-4742, email email@example.com or visit www.thermoscientific.com/ms.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With revenues of nearly $11 billion, we have approximately 37,000 employees and serve customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as in environmental and process control industries. We create value for our key stakeholders through two premier brands, Thermo Scientific and Fisher Scientific, which offer a unique combination of continuous technology development and the most convenient purchasing options. Our products and services help accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, and solve analytical challenges ranging from complex research to routine testing to field applications. Visit www.thermofisher.com.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Media Contact Information:
Name: Laura Browne
Phone: +44 1477 539539
Secondary Contact Information:
+1 (408) 965-6022
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Thermo Fisher (Group)
-  Singulex, Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Singulex and Thermo Fisher Scientific Enter into License and Supply Agreement to Bring Next Generation Immunodiagnostics to Sepsis and SIRS Diagnostics". Alameda, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: New Handheld Radiation Detector Brings Highly Sensitive Neutron Identification to Security Personnel". Oakwood Village, OH....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/28/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific to Present at Baird’s 2016 Industrial Conference on November 8, 2016". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/27/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Reports Third Quarter 2016 Results". Waltham, MA....
-  Fluidigm Corporation. (10/19/16). "Press Release: Fluidigm Names S. Christopher Linthwaite as New CEO". South San Francisco, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/17/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Joins Cancer Moonshot Effort". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Completes Acquisition of FEI Company". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Automating the Extraction of DNA, RNA and Proteins. New Thermo Scientific KingFisher Presto Automated Sample Purification System". Basel....
-  Proteome Sciences plc. (9/15/16). "Press Release: Interim Results. Proteome Sciences Today Releases Its Unaudited Interim Results for the Six Months Ended 30th June 2016"....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/14/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Prices Offering of Senior Notes". Waltham, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]