Document › Details
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (1/30/08). "Press Release: New Partnership for Vascular Proteomics". San José, CA.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., the world leader in serving science, today announced a collaborative partnership with the newly opened Vascular Proteomics Group at the James Black Center, King's College London, headed by Dr. Manuel Mayr. Started in June 2007, the facility is equipped with the powerful combination of a Thermo Scientific LTQ Orbitrap XL™ high performance mass spectrometer and the ETD-equipped Thermo Scientific LTQ XL™ system. This offers the most advanced proteomics capabilities available to today's researchers.
The James Black Center is a world-renowned research facility with a range of core competencies including genomics, proteomics, mulitphoton confocal microscopy and MRI. The Center is using the Thermo Scientific LTQ Orbitrap XL, a protein identification and biomarker discovery platform, along with an LTQ linear ion trap coupled with electron transfer dissociation (ETD) capability for advanced proteomic research in cardiovascular medicine.
"We are delighted that our new proteomics facility at the James Black Center will feature cutting- edge technology dedicated to cardiovascular research. Our primary focus will be on the ability of stem cells to affect cardiovascular repair," said Dr. Mayr.
Professor Qingbo Xu, British Heart Foundation Professor at King's College London, states that, "This group has the potential to make a big impact in cardiovascular proteomics. The Cardiovascular Division has just been awarded a £9m grant from the British Heart Foundation, which will provide excellent research possibilities here at King's College."
The Thermo Scientific LTQ Orbitrap XL provides unparalleled sensitivity in MS/MSn, a rapid scan rate, high mass accuracy and up to 100k resolution power. Taking advantage of the high ion storage capacity and fast cycle times of linear ion trap technology, the Thermo Scientific LTQ XL with ETD enables researchers at Kings College to conduct rapid alternating CID (Collisionally Induced Dissociation) and ETD experiments in LC/MSn analysis of complex samples. By rapidly alternating the two fragmentation techniques, it is possible to significantly increase proteome coverage and have complete confidence in each protein identified.
At the opening, Thermo Fisher Scientific's UK Life Science sales manager, Eric Winter, said "Manuel Mayr and the Vascular Proteomics Group at King's College are on the leading edge of proteomic research in cardiovascular medicine. We are proud to provide complete workflow solutions for advanced protein discovery proteomics and quantitation."
Together, Dr. Mayr and Thermo Fisher Scientific have already collaborated on articles in Molecular and Cellular Proteomics and the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, as well as a chapter in the Proteomics Protocols Handbook.
For more information about the Thermo Scientific proteomic solutions, please call +1 800-532-4752, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.thermo.com/proteomics.
Thermo Scientific is part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, the world leader in serving science.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With an annual revenue rate of more than $9 billion, we employ 30,000 people and serve over 350,000 customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as environmental and industrial process control settings. Serving customers through two premier brands, Thermo Scientific and Fisher Scientific, we help solve analytical challenges from routine testing to complex research and discovery. Thermo Scientific offers customers a complete range of high-end analytical instruments as well as laboratory equipment, software, services, consumables and reagents to enable integrated laboratory workflow solutions. Fisher Scientific provides a complete portfolio of laboratory equipment, chemicals, supplies and services used in healthcare, scientific research, safety and education. Together, we offer the most convenient purchasing options to customers and continuously advance our technologies to accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, enhance value for customers and fuel growth for shareholders and employees alike. Visit www.thermofisher.com.
About Dr Manuel Mayr
Dr. Manuel Mayr received his first degree in medicine from the University of Innsbruck, Austria, where he graduated "sub ausspiciis presidentis rei publicae", the highest distinction awarded for academic education. From 1996-1998 he worked with Prof. Georg Wick at the Institute of Experimental Pathology, Innsbruck, Austria on the role of heat shock proteins in atherosclerosis. Beginning his postdoctoral studies, he joined Prof. Qingbo Xu's group at the Institute of Biomedical Aging Research of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, working in the area of animal models and cellular signalling in response to biomechanical stress. In 2001, he moved together with Prof. Xu to London. At St. George's, he developed his proteomic skills and obtained his PhD, entitled "Cardiovascular proteomics: Linking proteomic and metabolomic changes" from the University of London in 2005. In 2006, he spent a sabbatical in Prof. Peipei Ping's laboratory at the University of California, Los Angeles, to further advance his skills in mass spectrometry. So far, he has published 45 peer-reviewed publications. This year, he was presented the inaugural Michael Davies Early Career Award of the British Cardiovascular Society for the best contribution by a basic scientist or clinical investigator in the early part of their research career.
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Thermo Fisher (Group)
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (8/18/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Releases Block Management System for Pathologists". Kalamazoo, MI....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (8/11/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Partners with Hamilton Bonaduz AG to Accelerate Automation Platforms Access for Forensic Customers". South San Francisco, CA & Bonaduz....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (8/10/16). "Press Release: Communication Protocols Added to Thermo Scientific LevelPRO and DensityPRO Nuclear Gauges". Franklin, MA....
-  Fluidigm Corporation. (8/4/16). "Press Release: Fluidigm Appoints New President and Chief Operating Officer". South San Francisco, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (8/1/16). "Press Release: Simplify Laboratory Quality Control with New Thermo Scientific LabLink xL 2.0 Software". Philadeliphia, PA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (8/1/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Expands Offering for Clinical Applications at AACC 2016". Philadeliphia, PA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (7/28/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Partners with Health BioMed to Support Molecular Diagnostics Development in China". Carlsbad, CA & Ningbo....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (7/28/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Reports Second Quarter 2016 Results". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (7/27/16). "Press Release: New AOAC-RI PTM Certification for STEC Detection Workflow. Provides Beef Producers with a Rapid but Simple Solution to Screen for STEC". Basingstoke....
-  PerkinElmer, Inc.. (7/27/16). "Press Release: PerkinElmer Elects Frank Witney to Board of Directors". Waltham, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]