Document › Details
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (1/5/12). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific and Premier Biosoft to Co-market SimGlycan Software. Goal Is to Advance Glycobiology by Dramatically Speeding Glycan Characterization". San José, CA.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., the world leader in serving science, and PREMIER Biosoft, today announced an agreement to co-market PREMIER Biosoft's SimGlycan® software. The agreement aims to advance glycobiology by dramatically speeding the characterization of complex glycans through automated interpretation of the rich data produced by Thermo Scientific mass spectrometer systems.
Glycans-oligosaccharide or polysaccharide molecules found attached to proteins and lipids in virtually all multicellular organisms-serve essential roles in biological processes as diverse as protein folding, immune function, and energy storage. Because glycans have the potential to serve as markers for disease, and because changes to glycans in a biologically based drug can affect the drug's function, bioinformatics tools that simplify and expedite structural elucidation of glycans are of intense interest to the scientific community and the pharmaceutical industry.
"The agreement enables Thermo Fisher Scientific to offer an integrated solution that markedly speeds glycan characterization," said Andreas Huhmer, proteomics marketing director for life sciences mass spectrometry at Thermo Fisher Scientific. "SimGlycan software is the only glycan characterization software available today that can comprehensively analyze the high-quality MSn glycan data generated by Thermo Scientific mass spectrometers. Higher order MSn fragmentation data are essential to resolving glycan heterogeneity and isomeric forms."
"The complex branching and isomeric nature of glycans have created significant analytical challenges for glycobiologists," said Kay Brown, President, PREMIER Biosoft. "By co-marketing SimGlycan software with the market leader in multistage mass spectrometer systems, PREMIER Biosoft leverages a broader sales and marketing channel to address these challenges."
Due to the sensitivity of mass spectrometers and their ability to analyze complex glycan mixtures, mass spectrometry has emerged as a powerful tool for glycan structural elucidation. However, MS-based approaches generate large volumes of data that, until the introduction of SimGlycan software, required hours or days of tedious manual interpretation. SimGlycan software automatically matches experimentally acquired mass spectra against a comprehensive database and generates a list of candidate glycan structures scored to reflect match quality. Additional, relevant biological information about the proposed glycan structure such as glycan class and biological pathway are made immediately available via interactive links.
Unlike other software, SimGlycan can process the multi-stage/sequential mass spectrometry (MSn) data produced by Thermo Scientific mass spectrometers. This unique capability aids in discriminating between glycans that have similar fragment ions at the MS/MS level, and resolves their carbohydrate distribution and branching patterns. Up to six or seven levels of fragmentation are typically needed to differentiate between glycan structural isomers.
SimGlycan software is designed for use with Thermo Scientific Orbitrap and ion trap mass spectrometers, including the Thermo Scientific LTQ, LTQ Velos and Velos Pro linear ion trap systems and the LTQ Orbitrap XL, Orbitrap Velos, Orbitrap Velos Pro, Orbitrap Elite and MALDI Orbitrap hybrid systems.
For more information about Thermo Scientific mass spectrometry solutions, please call +1 800-532-4742, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.thermoscientific.com/simglycan.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With revenues of nearly $11 billion, we have approximately 37,000 employees and serve customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as in environmental and process control industries. We create value for our key stakeholders through two premier brands, Thermo Scientific and Fisher Scientific, which offer a unique combination of continuous technology development and the most convenient purchasing options. Our products and services help accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, and solve analytical challenges ranging from complex research to routine testing to field applications. Visit www.thermofisher.com.
About PREMIER Biosoft
Founded in 1994, PREMIIER Biosoft is a group of computer scientists and biologists dedicated to producing cutting edge intuitive software for research in life sciences. Its goal is to study the most recent innovations in life sciences and translate them into software products to aid research. More information is available at: http://www.premierbiosoft.com.
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Thermo Fisher (Group)
-  Singulex, Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Singulex and Thermo Fisher Scientific Enter into License and Supply Agreement to Bring Next Generation Immunodiagnostics to Sepsis and SIRS Diagnostics". Alameda, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: New Handheld Radiation Detector Brings Highly Sensitive Neutron Identification to Security Personnel". Oakwood Village, OH....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/28/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific to Present at Baird’s 2016 Industrial Conference on November 8, 2016". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/27/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Reports Third Quarter 2016 Results". Waltham, MA....
-  Fluidigm Corporation. (10/19/16). "Press Release: Fluidigm Names S. Christopher Linthwaite as New CEO". South San Francisco, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/17/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Joins Cancer Moonshot Effort". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Completes Acquisition of FEI Company". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Automating the Extraction of DNA, RNA and Proteins. New Thermo Scientific KingFisher Presto Automated Sample Purification System". Basel....
-  Proteome Sciences plc. (9/15/16). "Press Release: Interim Results. Proteome Sciences Today Releases Its Unaudited Interim Results for the Six Months Ended 30th June 2016"....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/14/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Prices Offering of Senior Notes". Waltham, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]