Document › Details
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (8/3/07). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific LC-MS/MS Solution Used in New U.S. FDA Food Safety Method to Detect Melamine Content in Pet Food". San José, CA.
|Region||United States (USA)|
|Organisation||Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO)|
|Group||Thermo Fisher (Group)|
|Organisation 2||FDA (US Food and Drug Administration)|
|Group||United States (govt)|
|Product||TSQ Quantum mass spectrometer|
|Product 2||food analysis (food testing)|
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., the world leader in serving science, today announced that a new method to detect melamine content in catfish was developed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), after the recent discovery of contamination from imported food sources. The method uses Thermo Scientific instrumentation for a liquid chromatography coupled with tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) solution, and is published in the U.S. FDA's Laboratory Information Bulletin No. 4396, "Determination of Melamine Residues in Catfish Tissue by Triple Quadrupole LC-MS/MS with HILIC Chromatography." Recent news coverage about the presence of melamine - an industrial chemical used in the manufacturing of plastics, flame retardants and other products - in pet food, animal feed, wheat gluten and other protein-based food commodities has raised the general public's concern about the chemical in the food supply chain for both animals and humans.
According to the bulletin, "because animals may eat food contaminated with melamine residues, there is a need for analytical methods to determine melamine residues that may be present in animal tissues." The FDA performed the LC-MS/MS method using the Thermo Scientific TSQ Quantum™ triple quadrupole mass spectrometer coupled to a Thermo Scientific Surveyor™ MS pump and autosampler. Additionally, Thermo Scientific Xcalibur™ data system software was used to acquire and analyze the data.
The FDA's method showed that the Thermo Scientific instrumentation detected melamine at levels of 10 parts per billion in catfish extract, thereby exceeding the agency's requirements. Melamine is not approved for use in food or animal feed. Contaminated vegetable proteins imported into the United States from China were found to be used as ingredients in pet food, which sparked a nationwide pet food recall that began March 15, 2007. Additionally, a portion of the tainted pet food was used to produce farm animal feed and fish feed. The FDA and the U.S. Department of Agriculture discovered that some animals that ate the tainted feed had been processed into human food.
The Thermo Scientific TSQ Quantum triple quadrupole system is the only instrument that enables Highly Selective Reaction Monitoring (H-SRM), which facilitates the quick and efficient analysis of complex samples such as animal tissue. The Thermo Scientific LC-MS/MS solution yielded accuracy and precision values for this method that were well within the guidelines of the FDA for analytical method development and validation.
For more information about Thermo Scientific LC-MS/MS solutions and their wide range of applications, including food contaminants, please call +1 800-532-4752, e-mail email@example.com or visit www.thermo.com/ms.
Thermo Scientific is part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, the world leader in serving science.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With annual sales of more than $9 billion, we employ 30,000 people and serve over 350,000 customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions, and government agencies, as well as environmental and industrial process control settings. Serving customers through two premier brands, Thermo Scientific and Fisher Scientific, we help solve analytical challenges from routine testing to complex research and discovery. Thermo Scientific offers customers a complete range of high-end analytical instruments as well as laboratory equipment, software, services, consumables and reagents to enable integrated laboratory workflow solutions. Fisher Scientific provides a complete portfolio of laboratory equipment, chemicals, supplies and services used in healthcare, scientific research, safety and education. Together, we offer the most convenient purchasing options to customers and continuously advance our technologies to accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, enhance value for customers and fuel growth for shareholders and employees alike. Visit www.thermofisher.com.
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Thermo Fisher (Group)
-  Singulex, Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Singulex and Thermo Fisher Scientific Enter into License and Supply Agreement to Bring Next Generation Immunodiagnostics to Sepsis and SIRS Diagnostics". Alameda, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: New Handheld Radiation Detector Brings Highly Sensitive Neutron Identification to Security Personnel". Oakwood Village, OH....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/28/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific to Present at Baird’s 2016 Industrial Conference on November 8, 2016". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/27/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Reports Third Quarter 2016 Results". Waltham, MA....
-  Fluidigm Corporation. (10/19/16). "Press Release: Fluidigm Names S. Christopher Linthwaite as New CEO". South San Francisco, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/17/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Joins Cancer Moonshot Effort". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Completes Acquisition of FEI Company". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Automating the Extraction of DNA, RNA and Proteins. New Thermo Scientific KingFisher Presto Automated Sample Purification System". Basel....
-  Proteome Sciences plc. (9/15/16). "Press Release: Interim Results. Proteome Sciences Today Releases Its Unaudited Interim Results for the Six Months Ended 30th June 2016"....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/14/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Prices Offering of Senior Notes". Waltham, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]