Document › Details
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/30/08). "Press Release: International Uppsala Conference on Electron Capture and Transfer Dissociation. Thermo Fisher Scientific Sponsors the International Uppsala Conference in Madison, Wisconsin, December 7-10". San J
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., the world leader in serving science, today announced that it is the lead sponsor of the upcoming Uppsala Conference on Electron Capture and Transfer Dissociation. The conference, organized by Dr. Joshua J. Coon from the departments of chemistry and biomolecular chemistry at the University of Wisconsin, will be held in Madison, Wisconsin, from December 7-10, 2008.
Electron capture dissociation (ECD) and electron transfer dissociation (ETD) are related techniques that help scientists doing protein research obtain greater understanding of proteins and their functions in biological systems. Using mass spectrometers with ECD or ETD capabilities, researchers can more accurately identify proteins and pinpoint how and where they are modified. These modifications can have profound effects on the biological functions of proteins and provide critical insight into differences between healthy and diseased organisms.
The conference's scientific program will focus on four major themes: ion-electron interaction fundamentals, instrument development, applications in biology and related bioinformatics. Highlights will include presentations from the conference's founder, Professor Roman Zubarev of Uppsala University in Sweden, Dr. Steve Gygi of Harvard Medical School, and Dr. Jim Stephenson of the Research Triangle Institute in North Carolina.
The meeting's host, Dr. Joshua Coon, is a pioneer in combining ETD with tandem mass spectrometry, in particular the Thermo Scientific LTQ Orbitrap™. He uses the technique in his research of developmental biology, where the powerful combination of high resolution and accurate mass is pivotal in achieving definitive protein characterization.
"We are proud to be supporting the conference," says Amy Zumwalt, proteomics marketing programs manager for life sciences mass spectrometry at Thermo Fisher Scientific. "ETD is a groundbreaking tool in mass spectrometry, and it is vital that scientific information is shared among the community working in this growing field. At least 150 research groups are using ETD to solve biological problems they were unable to solve before."
Thermo Fisher Scientific is a leading developer of electron transfer dissociation technology, offering several high-performance mass spectrometers with ETD capability. It also provides software designed specifically to better analyze data produced by ETD analyses. The Uppsala meeting will feature talks from Andreas Hühmer and John Syka of Thermo Fisher Scientific, who will be presenting the latest information on the application of ETD on the Thermo Scientific LTQ XL and LTQ Orbitrap XL mass spectrometers.
"The ETD technique was developed with post-translational modifications in mind," adds Andreas Hühmer, proteomics marketing director at Thermo Fisher Scientific. "If you need to find PTMs on proteins, then ETD is essential. The Uppsala Conference will be an indispensable event for those wanting to both learn about the technique and to explore its potential for their applications."
The meeting is being held at Madison's historic Monona Terrace Community and Conference Center, and the deadline for registration is November 14. The registration form can be found at the Uppsala Conference website.
After the conference, the Thermo Fisher Scientific sessions will be available for download free-of -charge at www.thermo.com/proteomics.
For more information on the Thermo Scientific LTQ XL and LTQ Orbitrap XL with ETD, please email email@example.com, call +1 800-532-4752 or visit www.thermo.com/etd.
Thermo Scientific is part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, the world leader in serving science.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With annual revenues of $10 billion, we have more than 30,000 employees and serve over 350,000 customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as environmental and industrial process control settings. Serving customers through two premier brands, Thermo Scientific and Fisher Scientific, we help solve analytical challenges from routine testing to complex research and discovery. Thermo Scientific offers customers a complete range of high-end analytical instruments as well as laboratory equipment, software, services, consumables and reagents to enable integrated laboratory workflow solutions. Fisher Scientific provides a complete portfolio of laboratory equipment, chemicals, supplies and services used in healthcare, scientific research, safety and education. Together, we offer the most convenient purchasing options to customers and continuously advance our technologies to accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, enhance value for customers and fuel growth for shareholders and employees alike. Visit www.thermofisher.com.
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Thermo Fisher (Group)
-  Singulex, Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Singulex and Thermo Fisher Scientific Enter into License and Supply Agreement to Bring Next Generation Immunodiagnostics to Sepsis and SIRS Diagnostics". Alameda, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: New Handheld Radiation Detector Brings Highly Sensitive Neutron Identification to Security Personnel". Oakwood Village, OH....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/28/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific to Present at Baird’s 2016 Industrial Conference on November 8, 2016". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/27/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Reports Third Quarter 2016 Results". Waltham, MA....
-  Fluidigm Corporation. (10/19/16). "Press Release: Fluidigm Names S. Christopher Linthwaite as New CEO". South San Francisco, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/17/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Joins Cancer Moonshot Effort". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Completes Acquisition of FEI Company". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Automating the Extraction of DNA, RNA and Proteins. New Thermo Scientific KingFisher Presto Automated Sample Purification System". Basel....
-  Proteome Sciences plc. (9/15/16). "Press Release: Interim Results. Proteome Sciences Today Releases Its Unaudited Interim Results for the Six Months Ended 30th June 2016"....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/14/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Prices Offering of Senior Notes". Waltham, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]