Document › Details
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (7/17/08). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Mass Spectrometry Instruments Used by Harvard University to Identify Proteins in Dinosaur Fossils and Cancer Pathways". San José, CA.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., the world leader in serving science, today announced that Harvard Medical School (HMS) is using a range of its mass spectrometry instrumentation for cutting-edge targeted proteomics applications. Scientists from North Carolina State and Harvard Universities, along with John M. Asara Ph.D., director of the mass spectrometry core facility at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC), a teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School, have used a Thermo Scientific LTQ linear ion trap and LTQ Orbitrap XL to extract and sequence tiny pieces of collagen protein from dinosaurs. The sequences from a 68 million-year old Tyrannosaurus Rex and a 160,000 to 600,000 year old mastodon are the oldest to ever be reported. The protein fragments were compared to peptide/protein sequences in existing databases, leading the researchers to propose a link between the T. rex and current day chickens and the mastodon with modern elephants. Recently the Harvard team has been able to place the T. rex on the animal kingdom's phylogenetic tree using molecular evidence.
John Asara (who is also an instructor in pathology at HMS) and his colleagues at BIDMC provide the Longwood Medical Area and other researchers with proteomics services. They use mass spectrometry to develop proteomics-based strategies for identifying novel signaling proteins and modifications of functional significance to cancer pathways. The mass spectrometry techniques he has developed for sequencing proteins in human tumors using the LTQ linear ion trap and LTQ Orbitrap XL have also been applicable to his work on fossilomics (the analysis of fossil bone proteins from extinct organisms).
Asara credits the Thermo Scientific instrumentation with providing the sensitivity, ultra high mass accuracy and resolution required by these challenging applications. "The LTQ increased our throughput and depth of analyses," he said. "Additionally, the LTQ Orbitrap XL has done wonders for sorting out minor sequence discrepancies. With the LTQ Orbitrap XL, all forms of proteomics analysis are possible from qualitative analysis to quantitative analysis through stable isotope labeling, as well as label-free methods."
Both Asara's cancer research and fossilomics analyses benefit from the advanced Thermo Scientific MS technology. "The two technological advances that stand out with my current instrumentation are the linear trap with dual ejection to two different multipliers, which substantially increases sensitivity and scan speed, as well as the Orbitrap's capability for high resolution accurate mass measurements," Asara said. "Additionally the HCD collision cell on the LTQ Orbitrap XL allows for extremely high MS/MS mass accuracy and resolution, in addition to acquiring very low molecular weight fragment ions."
For more information about Thermo Scientific MS instrumentation, please call
+1 800-532-4752, email email@example.com or visit
Thermo Scientific is part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, the world leader in serving science.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With annual revenues of $10 billion, we have more than 30,000 employees and serve over 350,000 customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as environmental and industrial process control settings. Serving customers through two premier brands, Thermo Scientific and Fisher Scientific, we help solve analytical challenges from routine testing to complex research and discovery. Thermo Scientific offers customers a complete range of high-end analytical instruments as well as laboratory equipment, software, services, consumables and reagents to enable integrated laboratory workflow solutions. Fisher Scientific provides a complete portfolio of laboratory equipment, chemicals, supplies and services used in healthcare, scientific research, safety and education. Together, we offer the most convenient purchasing options to customers and continuously advance our technologies to accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, enhance value for customers and fuel growth for shareholders and employees alike. Visit www.thermofisher.com.
For further press information please contact:
The Scott Partnership,
1 Whiteside, Station Road,
Holmes Chapel, Cheshire.
Tel: + 44 1477 539539
Fax: +44 1606 1477 539540
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Thermo Fisher (Group)
-  Singulex, Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Singulex and Thermo Fisher Scientific Enter into License and Supply Agreement to Bring Next Generation Immunodiagnostics to Sepsis and SIRS Diagnostics". Alameda, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: New Handheld Radiation Detector Brings Highly Sensitive Neutron Identification to Security Personnel". Oakwood Village, OH....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/28/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific to Present at Baird’s 2016 Industrial Conference on November 8, 2016". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/27/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Reports Third Quarter 2016 Results". Waltham, MA....
-  Fluidigm Corporation. (10/19/16). "Press Release: Fluidigm Names S. Christopher Linthwaite as New CEO". South San Francisco, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/17/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Joins Cancer Moonshot Effort". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Completes Acquisition of FEI Company". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Automating the Extraction of DNA, RNA and Proteins. New Thermo Scientific KingFisher Presto Automated Sample Purification System". Basel....
-  Proteome Sciences plc. (9/15/16). "Press Release: Interim Results. Proteome Sciences Today Releases Its Unaudited Interim Results for the Six Months Ended 30th June 2016"....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/14/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Prices Offering of Senior Notes". Waltham, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]