Document › Details
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (6/22/11). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Announces ICP-MS Solution to Address Serious Concerns Regarding Chromium VI in Drinking Water". Cambridge, UK.
|Region||United States (USA)|
|Organisation||Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO)|
|Group||Thermo Fisher (Group)|
|Organisation 2||EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) (US)|
|Group||United States (govt)|
|Product||XSERIES 2 quadrupole ICP-MS analyzer|
|Product 2||water analysis|
|Index term 2||water|
|Person||McSheehy, Shona (Thermo Fisher 201106 ICP-Q-MS Application Specialist)|
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., the world leader in serving science, today announced a highly sensitive ICP-MS solution for chromium measurement in drinking water, including the potentially carcinogenic hexavalent chromium (chromium VI). The Thermo Scientific XSERIES 2 ICP-MS is able to detect levels of chromium VI at less than 0.01 parts per billion (ppb), which is significantly lower than the current U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guidelines of 0.5 ppb. Implementation of the system will provide laboratories with fast and accurate measurement of the element to ensure confident compliance with the EPA standards.
The Environmental Working Group (EWG), a nonprofit research organization, recently found chromium VI in the drinking water of 31 out of 35 U.S. cities tested, with the highest levels in samples from Norman in Oklahoma, Honolulu in Hawaii and Riverside, California. As a result of these findings, the EPA has advised U.S. water utilities to test more carefully for the presence of chromium in water sources. However, the methods on which many laboratories rely are not capable of meeting the desired 0.5 ppb level. ICP-MS methods in contrast offer unmatched sensitivity, from parts per billion into parts per trillion levels, for simultaneous analysis of numerous regulated contaminants in the EPA National Primary Drinking Water Regulations.
Thermo Fisher recently participated in the Association of Public Health Laboratories (APHL) Environmental Committees teleconference to discuss new approaches for measuring chromium in drinking water. Monitoring chromium VI levels in water sources is central to assessing the potential risk from exposure. The Thermo Scientific XSERIES 2 ICP-MS provides reproducible multi-element capabilities and superb accuracy for the detection of chromium VI. The system's ability to process up to 50 samples per hour for analysis of total elemental concentrations and eight samples per hour for chromium VI determinations, coupled with less hands-on time from the operator, optimizes throughput and improves the efficiency of analyses. By implementing the system, laboratories can address health concerns by more quickly and confidently determining the levels of chromium VI and other trace elements in water.
"We want to make it as easy as possible for our customers to comply with and even surpass EPA regulatory standards," said Dr. Shona McSheehy, ICP-Q-MS application specialist, Thermo Fisher Scientific. "The XSERIES 2 ICP-MS offers users a sensitive, specific detector with the capability to provide multi-elemental determinations and an accurate indication of toxicity in a wide range of matrices previously not possible using other methods."
For more information about the Thermo Scientific XSERIES 2 ICP-MS, please call +1 800-532-4752, email email@example.com or visit www.thermoscientific.com/trace
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With revenues of nearly $11 billion, we have approximately 37,000 employees and serve customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as in environmental and process control industries. We create value for our key stakeholders through two premier brands, Thermo Scientific and Fisher Scientific, which offer a unique combination of continuous technology development and the most convenient purchasing options. Our products and services help accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, and solve analytical challenges ranging from complex research to routine testing to field applications. Visit www.thermofisher.com
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Thermo Fisher (Group)
-  Singulex, Inc.. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Singulex and Thermo Fisher Scientific Enter into License and Supply Agreement to Bring Next Generation Immunodiagnostics to Sepsis and SIRS Diagnostics". Alameda, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (11/1/16). "Press Release: New Handheld Radiation Detector Brings Highly Sensitive Neutron Identification to Security Personnel". Oakwood Village, OH....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/28/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific to Present at Baird’s 2016 Industrial Conference on November 8, 2016". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/27/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Reports Third Quarter 2016 Results". Waltham, MA....
-  Fluidigm Corporation. (10/19/16). "Press Release: Fluidigm Names S. Christopher Linthwaite as New CEO". South San Francisco, CA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (10/17/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Joins Cancer Moonshot Effort". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Completes Acquisition of FEI Company". Waltham, MA....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Automating the Extraction of DNA, RNA and Proteins. New Thermo Scientific KingFisher Presto Automated Sample Purification System". Basel....
-  Proteome Sciences plc. (9/15/16). "Press Release: Interim Results. Proteome Sciences Today Releases Its Unaudited Interim Results for the Six Months Ended 30th June 2016"....
-  Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.. (9/14/16). "Press Release: Thermo Fisher Scientific Prices Offering of Senior Notes". Waltham, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]