Document › Details
Waters Corporation. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Waters Advances Proteomics and Lipidomics Research with Novel Mass Spectrometry Acquisition Mode". Taipei.
|Organisation||Waters Corporation (NYSE: WAT)|
|Organisation 2||HUPO (Human Proteome Organisation)|
|Product||SONAR data acquisition mode|
|Product 2||HUPO 2016 Taipei (15th Annual World Congress)|
|Person||Heywood, David (Waters 201606 Senior Businesss Development Manager for Omics Solutions)|
|Person 2||Haas, Karen (Waters 201601)|
Waters MS Technology Researchers Bob Bateman and John Hoyes Recognized at HUPO World Congress with Science and Technology Award
Waters Corporation (NYSE: WAT) introduces a new data acquisition mode, SONAR™, for its Xevo® G2-XS quadrupole time-of-flight (QTof) mass spectrometer (MS) that provides MS/MS data from data-independent acquisitions (DIA). The technology enables analytical scientists to be more efficient in the laboratory and have more confidence in the results they generate. SONAR data allows for the quantification and identification of lipids, metabolites, and proteins in complex samples from a single injection without additional method development normally associated with MS/MS analysis.
The novel MS acquisition mode was announced at the 15th annual Human Proteome Organization (HUPO) World Congress, where Bob Bateman and John Hoyes, senior MS technology experts at Waters Corporation, are being recognized for advancing mass spectrometry instrumentation.
In modern proteomics experiments, DIA-based mass spectrometry has been a popular technique for capturing data-rich sample profiles. As proteomics and lipidomics capabilities have progressed, scientists seek to further focus experiments to quantify specific peptides and proteins, which has required additional method development and repeated assays. The newly introduced SONAR data acquisition mode provides additional clarity and information for increasingly complex samples.
“Today, as proteomics research has matured, scientists are already collecting the majority of the information available from proteins. What they want to be able to do is approach a protein or specific peptides with a hypothesis, and use targeted MS/MS quantification to investigate their ideas without setting up additional methods or experiments,” said David Heywood, senior manager, Omics business development at Waters Corporation. “Now, with SONAR data acquisition, they can perform a more selective all-in-one analysis. Compatible with high-speed UPLC separations, it’s a more efficient workflow for more accurate qualitative and quantitative analysis within a single injection.”
Waters Scientists Recognized at HUPO
Also at the annual HUPO meeting, Waters Corporation’s Consultant for Technical Research, Bob Bateman, and MS Technical Director and Scientific Fellow, John Hoyes, are being recognized for their contributions to advancing technology for proteomics research with the HUPO Industrial Advisory Board Science and Technology Award for the development of the Q-Tof mass spectrometer.
“The availability of a Q-Tof tandem MS instrument had tremendous influence on the development of proteomics in its early days, since this type of mass spectrometer coupled with a nanoLC provided unprecedented performance in analyzing a proteome,” noted the HUPO Executive Committee in their award announcement. The Waters® (Micromass®) Q-Tof™ Mass Spectrometer was first commercially introduced in 1996 and has undergone many technological advancements, most recently with the integration of ion mobility separations and now with its novel SONAR MS data acquisition mode.
SONAR Enhancements to MS Data Acquisition Modes
The additional selectivity offered by the SONAR data acquisition mode is due to the behavior of the mass spectrometer’s quadrupole. Instead of remaining open and transmitting all ions, in SONAR mode the quadrupole slides over the selected mass range of interest, with each scan capturing 200 spectra. The operation of the quadrupole makes the SONAR mode compatible with fast UltraPerformance LC® (UPLC®) separations that increase laboratory throughput. Compounds that may have chromatographically coeluted are now separated by the quadrupole and recorded individually for more effective library searches. The SONAR data acquisition mode collects both quantitative and qualitative data within a single injection.
SONAR technology is the subject of several talks at HUPO World Congress, taking place Sept. 18-22 at the Taipei International Convention Center.
SONAR data is compatible with analytical workflows that utilize Waters Progenesis® and Symphony™ software, and with third-party software packages such as Skyline. SONAR is available on the Waters Xevo G2-XS QTof Mass Spectrometer under MassLynx® Software control.
Waters Corporation (NYSE:WAT) develops and manufactures advanced analytical and material science technologies for laboratory dependent organizations. For more than 50 years, the company has pioneered a connected portfolio of separations science, laboratory information management, mass spectrometry and thermal analysis systems.
Waters, SONAR, Xevo, Micromass, Q-Tof, UltraPerformance LC, UPLC, Progenesis, Symphony, and MassLynx are trademarks of Waters Corporation.
Karen Haas, +1-508-482-3363
Record changed: 2016-10-20
More documents for Waters (Group)
-  Waters Corporation. (1/4/17). "Press Release: Waters CE-Marks In Vitro Diagnostic MassTrak Vitamin D Solution". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (1/3/17). "Press Release: Waters Corporation Presentation at the 35th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference to Be Audio Webcast Live". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (12/29/16). "Press Release: Waters Corporation Presentation at the Goldman Sachs Healthcare CEOs Unscripted Conference to Be Audio Webcast Live". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (12/19/16). "Press Release: Waters New Preparative SFC Columns Designed to Aid Purification Scale-Up Methods". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Waters Corporation Announces Sherry Buck as Chief Financial Officer". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (11/30/16). "Press Release: International Phenome Centre Network Launches with Waters as a Founding Partner". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (11/10/16). "Press Release: Waters Expands Cortecs Analytical Column Portfolio". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (11/1/16). "Press Release: Waters and Sotax Group Sign Co-Marketing and Re-Seller Agreement". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (11/1/16). "Press Release: Vicam Now Offers a Single Extraction Test for Aflatoxins and Fumonisins in Corn and Grain". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (10/25/16). "Press Release: Waters Reports Third Quarter 2016 Financial Results". Milford, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]