Document › Details
Waters Corporation. (6/21/16). "Press Release: Waters Collaborates with Singapore’s Bioprocessing Technology Institute to Develop New Strategies to Identify Cancer Markers and Probe Cancer Biology". Milford, MA.
|Organisation||Waters Corporation (NYSE: WAT)|
|Organisation 2||Bioprocessing Technology Institute (BTI) (Singapore)|
|Product 2||Synapt® G2-S HDMS system|
|Person||Woen, Susanto (Singapore (govt) 201606 Research Scientist at BTI)|
|Person 2||Castro-Perez, Jose (Waters 201606 Director Health Sciences Marketing)|
Organizations Partner to Enhance the Development of Analytical Methods and Glycan Libraries for Cancer Glycobiology, Focusing on Glycosphingolipids
Waters Corporation (NYSE:WAT) today announced a joint effort with the Bioprocessing Technology Institute (BTI), a research institute within Singapore's Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), to develop new methods of finding cancer markers and elucidating glycosylation pathways that could pave the way for new therapeutic strategies.
As part of the research collaboration, Waters and BTI will develop a glycosphingolipid (GSL) head group database containing glucose unit (GU) retention times1 and collision cross-section (CCS) values in an effort to compile an experimental library for disease-related GSL glycans together with a glycan/MS spectral library.
GSLs are highly complex structures in which glycan head groups are attached to fatty acyl moieties. Analyzing their molecular composition involves detailing the sequence, anomericity, branching, and linkage positions of the oligosaccharides as well as their fatty acyl motifs. GSLs are critical for cell growth, interaction, and signaling and alterations to their structure may result in diseases or promote the development of different types of cancer. The analysis of the glycan head groups poses a particular analytical challenge for glycoscience because isomeric structures are not easily differentiated by either liquid chromatography (LC) or mass spectrometry (MS) technologies when used alone.
“Collaborating with Waters will enable BTI to apply its expertise in glycomics to develop analytical methods and a library of information on GSLs that doesn’t yet exist today. This will allow us to probe for potential clinical markers and to provide insights into disease progression and regression following therapeutic intervention. We anticipate our science will advance human health while at the same time address some of the needs of the biopharmaceutical industry,” said scientific lead Dr. Susanto Woen, Research Scientist, BTI. “The partnership also allows us to be part of an international glycomics research network pioneering technologies required to determine the potential association between GSL glycosylation and any phenotypic/genotypic traits in disease or disease states.”
“By taking our partnership to a new level, we will empower BTI to further develop novel analytical methods and establish a comprehensive experimental glycan spectral library for cancer glycobiology focusing on glycosphingolipids. Together, we want to advance methods to study GSL glycosylation in cancer classification and biomarker discovery,” said Dr. Jose Castro-Perez, Director – Health Sciences Marketing, Waters Corporation.
As part of this collaboration, Waters will be contributing scientific expertise and the use of a Waters® SYNAPT® G2-S High Definition Mass Spectrometry® System. The instrument features ion mobility mass spectrometry technology that rapidly separates molecular ions by not only their size and mass-to-charge ratio, but by their shape as well. A collisional cross-section (CCS) value is a precise physicochemical property of an ion related to its size, shape, and charge in the gas phase. The ability to determine the separation of molecules based on a CCS value for each glycan head group reveals insights into their unique chemical structure, which in turn can be used as an additional descriptor for the GSL in question, thus providing a higher degree of specificity than using just mass-to-charge ratio alone.
First established in 2014, Waters’ collaborative relationship with BTI initially focused on evaluating the performance of a new N-linked glycan label aimed at biopharmaceutical applications, the GlycoWorks™ RapiFluor-MS™ Glycan Kit, and its complete workflow – from sample preparation to analysis – for glycosylation profiling.
About Waters Corporation (www.waters.com)
Waters Corporation (NYSE:WAT) develops and manufactures advanced analytical and material science technologies for laboratory dependent organizations. For more than 50 years, the company has pioneered a connected portfolio of separations science, laboratory information management, mass spectrometry and thermal analysis systems.
1. Albrecht, S.; Vainauskas, S.; Stockmann, H.; McManus, C.; Taron, C. H.; Pauline M. Rudd, Anal. Chem. DOI:10.1021/acs.analchem.6b00259.
Waters, SYNAPT, High-Definition Mass Spectrometry, GlycoWorks, and RapiFluor-MS are trademarks of Waters Corporation.
Brian J. Murphy, +1 508-482-2614
Record changed: 2016-07-01
More documents for Waters (Group)
-  Waters Corporation. (1/4/17). "Press Release: Waters CE-Marks In Vitro Diagnostic MassTrak Vitamin D Solution". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (1/3/17). "Press Release: Waters Corporation Presentation at the 35th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference to Be Audio Webcast Live". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (12/29/16). "Press Release: Waters Corporation Presentation at the Goldman Sachs Healthcare CEOs Unscripted Conference to Be Audio Webcast Live". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (12/19/16). "Press Release: Waters New Preparative SFC Columns Designed to Aid Purification Scale-Up Methods". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Waters Corporation Announces Sherry Buck as Chief Financial Officer". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (11/30/16). "Press Release: International Phenome Centre Network Launches with Waters as a Founding Partner". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (11/10/16). "Press Release: Waters Expands Cortecs Analytical Column Portfolio". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (11/1/16). "Press Release: Waters and Sotax Group Sign Co-Marketing and Re-Seller Agreement". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (11/1/16). "Press Release: Vicam Now Offers a Single Extraction Test for Aflatoxins and Fumonisins in Corn and Grain". Milford, MA....
-  Waters Corporation. (10/25/16). "Press Release: Waters Reports Third Quarter 2016 Financial Results". Milford, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]