Document › Details
AB Sciex. (2/10/10). "Press Release: Anti-doping Enforcement for International Winter Sports Competition Aided by AB Sciex Testing Solution. Officials Increase Efforts to Enforce Zero-tolerance Policy". Vancouver, BC.
|Organisation||AB Sciex LLC|
|Product||4000 Q TRAP® LC/MS/MS system (ABI)|
|Product 2||Analyst® LC/MS Software|
|Person||Lauman, Laura (Illumina 201112– VP Marketing before Danaher 201002– President AB SCIEX before PerkinElmer + Waters)|
While millions of viewers around the world are watching breathtaking ski jumps, razor-sharp skating moves and other awe-inspiring athletic feats in Vancouver over the next few weeks, the official doping control laboratory of the 2010 Winter Games will be casting an equally intent eye on the athletes who are competing. The INRS-Institut Armand-Frappier, a component of Canada’s Institut national de la recherche scientifique, is implementing the most stringent anti-doping testing in history through the creation of an $8.9-million testing facility. Testing for stimulants, masking agents, glucocorticosteroids and insulin will be run on a mass spectrometry solution provided by AB SCIEX, a global leader in life science analytical technologies.
Officials are enforcing a zero-tolerance policy for performance-enhancing drugs. A critical part of the enforcement is the use of more sensitive technology to ensure the most accurate results that identify cheating. The INRS laboratory, which is Canada’s only World Anti-Doping Agency-accredited laboratory, selected AB SCIEX technology, which is among the most advanced in the world for identifying the variety of prohibited substances or their markers.
The AB SCIEX technology solution deployed by INRS is a mass spectrometry solution based on liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry (LC/MS/MS), which enables comprehensive detection and identification of substances with high specificity and sensitivity.
The specific solution is comprised of four 4000 QTRAP® Systems. The QTRAP system is a mass spectrometer that provides the unique ability to screen, quantitate and confirm molecules in a single analysis. The software that is used is Analyst Software, which manages the system and performs the data processing.
The solution utilizes a direct injection method, which is a process by which a scientist directly injects a diluted sample into an instrument, eliminating the need to clean up, concentrate or chemically modify the sample prior to analysis. This simplifies the preparation of the samples submitted to testing, speeds up the process and reduces risks of contamination or loss of compounds.
Christiane Ayotte, Ph.D., director of the doping control laboratory at the 2010 Winter Games
“We have raised the standard for anti-doping testing. By selecting AB SCIEX technology, we are able to consolidate our testing procedures, significantly reduce the preparation steps and increase the sensitivity and specificity of our detection techniques.”
Laura Lauman, president of AB SCIEX
“Protecting the integrity of athletic competition continues to be a significant issue for international governing organizations. AB SCIEX technology is assisting in the enforcement of a zero-tolerance, anti-doping policy designed to maintain a level playing field during the Winter Games. This is a great example of how mass spectrometry is increasingly being used to address a variety of scientific challenges beyond the research lab.”
About AB SCIEX
AB SCIEX is a global leader in the development of life science analytical technologies that help answer complex scientific challenges. The company provides scientific instrumentation, software and services used to discover new drugs, advance medical science and protect the food supply and the environment. The company has a more than 20-year history of innovation and market leadership as the former Applied Biosystems/MDS Analytical Technologies joint venture. For more information about AB SCIEX, go to www.absciex.com. Follow AB SCIEX on Twitter @ABSCIEX and on Facebook.
Social Media Tags
AB SCIEX, performance-enhancing drugs, Olympics, 2010 Winter Games, mass spectrometry, QTRAP, life science, analytical technologies, anti-doping
For Research Use Only. The trademarks mentioned herein are the property of AB Sciex Pte. Ltd. or their respective owners.
© 2010 AB SCIEX.
Senior Manager, Corporate Communications
Record changed: 2016-03-19
More documents for Danaher (Group)
-  Bayer AG. (12/21/16). "Press Release: Bayer Develops Companion Diagnostic Test for Cancer Patients Together with Leica Biosystems [Not intended for U.S. and UK Media]". Leverkusen....
-  Danaher Corporation. (12/1/16). "Press Release: Danaher Announces Leadership Appointment". Washington, DC....
-  Phenomenex, Inc.. (11/30/16). "Press Release: New Clarity Columns Refine RP and IEX Chromatographic Analysis of Synthetic Oligonucleotides". Torrance, CA....
-  Pressure BioSciences, Inc.. (11/16/16). "Press Release: Pressure BioSciences, Inc. Reports Third Quarter 2016 Financial Results and Provides Business Update". South Easton, MA....
-  AB Sciex (d/b/a Sciex). (11/10/16). "Press Release: Sciex Supports Vital Cancer Prevention Research through Partnership with World Cancer Research Fund". Framingham, MA....
-  Danaher Corporation. (11/4/16). "Press Release: Danaher Completes Acquisition of Cepheid". Washington, DC....
-  Danaher Corporation. (10/31/16). "Press Release: Danaher to Present at Baird Industrial Conference". Washington, DC....
-  AB Sciex (d/b/a Sciex). (10/27/16). "Press Release: Scientists Eradicate Leukemic Stem Cells by Targeting Cell Survival Proteins. Sciex Mass Spectrometry-based Solutions Lead to Leukemia Breakthroughs". Framingham, MA....
-  Phenomenex, Inc.. (10/25/16). "Press Release: Phenomenex Adds Polar Mixed-Mode Selectivities to Luna LC Column Line". Torrance, CA....
-  Spectro Analytical Instruments GmbH. (10/20/16). "Press Release: Dr. Christoph Mätzig Named Managing Director, Spectro Analytical Instruments". Kleve....
To subscribe to our free, monthly mass spectrometry newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »MSC newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]